Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The last BK lessons?

Today was the last of my Bible Knowledge(BK) lessons for the year. It'll probably be my last one. Ever.

Throughout my one and a half year of studying God's word for exams(I came in quite late in 2008) I have learn more about the Gospel and actually took time to read Acts. Before that, I never ever read or even look through Acts. I didn't know about Luke, I didn't know that Paul was against Christianity in the first place or that Acts was written by Luke in the first place at all.

But by studying BK, I have gain more knowledge of God's word and met great friends. I even have a wonderful teacher who help me enjoy BK and taught us very well.

However, what I fear is that my batch or even the BK candidates of 2009 will be last. You see the government has set a quota of subjects each students can take and that is 10. Well, some of you might think that for National school students, it will be okay for them to drop English for Science and Technology(EST) for BK. But how about the secular schools? They are required to sit for Chinese exams. (Taking Chinese schools as an example)

What's ironic is that Islam-related subjects are exempted from this ruling. True, I supposed their Principe is that the more religious paper you take, the more merit you'll get when you meet God. (I'm giving an presumption based on the ruling for Islam papers)

Well, I do agree that Religion and Education should not be clashed together, so it's good that Islam students (or anyone for that matter) can take as many Islam-related papers as they want. But why can't BK be given the same exemption. Shouldn't Form 4 BK candidates be given the luxury to choose whether they want to take BK or not? It appears that many of us wouldn't have any choice at all....

Paul once wrote that "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day"(2 Tim 4:7-8). I believe BK exams are not "THE" only race every Christians must race and compete( otherwise many people couldn't have return to the Lord), but the ruling has severe implications not only to Christians, but many people as well. They are people who are not Christians that even take BK as an exam subject just for an extra A. This is an indirect way of spreading the Gospel to those people because the Gospel is to be known "to the ends of the world" (Acts 1:8)

Now, it seems, people like us have one race we can never enter in our lives. Ever.

No comments: