Thursday, November 19, 2009

Beauty

" This was the question I attempted in my English Paper 1 for SPM. Initially I wanted to try one question that was about long holidays for student. But I couldn't brainstorm for good ideas and put in many proverbs or bombastic words for that matter.

So I answered the one-word essay and this is what I wrote for the examinations, I think."


I always wonder why is there such a quote such as "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". Initially I disagree with this statement. Since when Beauty was such a bias thing? Isn't beauty supposed to be universal??

So here I am with my friend, sipping our English Tea. As we chatted among ourselves all the things we done during the holidays, suddenly my friend pointed out the artwork on our tea cups.

"I'm fascinated by the artwork on the cups. Don't you think it takes alot of talent and patience to come up with such details?" He commented.

"Well, I think it is a load of crap".

He was stunned. I must admit art isn't really my forte. It could be due to the fact that I never really love artwork that much.

After that, we payed our bills and left the shop, walking along the streets. Then out of a sudden, a lass walked pass by me, and what a sight that is. She had eyes like Sapphire and a figure that could rival that of Venus or even Megan Fox for that matter. But my friend just shrugged his shoulders, saying that she look more like a Drag Queen to him.

A drag queen? Come on! She is the girl of my dreams, even more so for many other people to be exact. He must have been from another planet or a lesbian to say that girl was a "Drag Queen".

"Now this my friend, is beauty". My friend then said.

"What? Who? Where?". As I look around, found nothing decent, let alone attractive.

" Here, my sister."

Her sister? He must be seriously out of this world. His sisters has so many freckles and pimples she would scare the living daylights out of Frankenstien! But I can't blame him, because he used to have a brother who recently just passed away. So it's a no-brainer why he treasured his sister so much.

After they had a brief chat, she left us and walked towards the town mall. Apparently she is going to the mall with her friends.

" Isn't she a beauty?" My friend asked.

Okay, so what am I supposed to say? I'm now caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

" She's.....different today". I spoke with a smile

My friend smiled back at me, I hoped it wasn't sarcastic as mine. So after that, we parted ways. He had to buy some groceries for his mother while I walked back alone, after I take a detour around a lake.

As I walked along,I sat on a stone bench.It was quite clean so I lied down for a moment. I can't help but notice the evening scenery. The sun is descending, along with it came rays of orange painted on a purple canvas. The birds are flying, drifting through the breeze that pass by me.I closed my eyes and ponder back on my memories.Then something stopped me.

"Mum, can we go back now? This place is boring". A child whined.

"Dear Jimmy, we will go home soon. Okay?"

The mum and child then walked away. Then I thought to myself,"Indeed, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

No comments: