Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sentimentality

I found this great picture here. You know all the inspirational pictures with all the good attributes like "Determination", "Attentiveness" and with their one-liners. Someone did the same thing except he was inspired by the comic Calvin and Hobbes.



It does bring back some memories don't you think? I don't know about you, but I grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes. It may very well be the first comic strip I ever read and surely the best so far.When I was a kid, I like to read the comics because of all the elaborate expressions both the characters do and the overall drawing. Some of the scenes are magnificent such as my title header.

But as times goes by, I too grew up and I begin to laugh at the comic strips again; this time it isn't the drawings or caricature but the puns Bill Waterson often put in his strips.

I must have respect for Calvin cause he still keeps Hobbes around even though he has grown up to be an adult.And as you can see in the picture, Calvin lets his unnamed daughther to play with Hobbes and the daughter looks alot like Susie Derkins, Calvin's chilhood crush and I think we'll can safely say who's the mother...

Talking about the picture and the one-liner it comes with. Although not quite the "quote of the century", but you have to admit it makes sense(in a peculiar way).

When we were kids, we play with many toys and take it with us no matter where we go. I used to bring my toy cars, Thomas the tank engine or even my bears along when we travel somewhere else.It's basically our "ipod or Handphone" when we were young.

However, as we grow up and the hormones start kicking in. We longer play with those stuff, branding them as "childish" or something like that, but we do not know how much those things are valueble when we realized, they are gone.

I still have my childhood toys, but I donated some insignificant ones to Salvation Army. Only left are my bears, Hotwheels cars and Thomas the engine. Speaking about Thomas the tank engine, when I was in Changi Airport in Singapore, I found out that they are still selling it.....but those replica's are now made in metal! My collection was the original one's which were made out of wood. Now I know why my parents insist that I keep it even though I do not play with it.

Even my pyramix cube,which is a Rubik's cube but in a form of a triangle. I got it from A&W way,way back when I was still learning my A-B-C. Now, it's longer available and most importantly, I'm the only one in my school who has one. :D

So, go treasure-hunting,get back your old toys,clean it and keep it for your chilldren to play stuff you played as a kid.I'm sure it will be fullfilling experience(although I'm not married,let alone have a kid yet).

No comments: