Monday, April 19, 2010

Work and Play: Between Responsibilities and Leisure

Last saturday, I had a scholarship exam to study in Wolverhampton Royal school. It was held in KL. I choosed the "Humanities" paper and in simple terms, it was quite a joyride, haha. It wasn't that boring, but wasn't really that hard till it's beyond comprehending the paper. Then on Sunday, I have an outing to play futsal. (This is be important later on)

In the paper, we have English (Grammer), Maths and 3 writing tasks. The last one was about people who work very hard but gave no time for leisure; and those who only know how to play and be merry. I was required to give my opinions about both these stereotypes and my own opinion regarding work and responsibilities.

So, in my point of view( and many of you, I hope) is that, well, there is time for us to play and have fun, but we do have to work very hard because not only our responsibilities comes first, but also that we can have a good life and not worry when play or enjoying ourselves.

But, in a cruel twist of fate, after the exam, I received a message about a scout leadership course on Sunday, which if you noticed earlier, I had a futsal game. And the course is a full-day course. It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the fact I gave my views on work and play.

It took me quite some time to decide, but I decided that I would go for the course. Some of the reasons were:

1) I get to be a "penolong pemimpin"(assistant scout master) for my scout troop and get 2 "manikayu". It would be a equivalent of an administrative post which is state recognized and a medal in miltary terms respectively.


(It may not look like much, but I'll take it over Paris Hilton)

2) The another reason is that well, futsal can wait for another day. It's not like the end of the whole if I skip one right? And also the scout course comes only once a year

3) I'll need to spend more money for the futsal and drinks then listening to the "big fish" people giving theory courses as if they are talking to themselves.


At the end of the day, we have to take compromises whenever we make a decision. The deciding factor however, which choice would have a lesser negative impact on our lives.

No comments: